Sunday, August 29, 2010

Change is Inevitable

When did this happen? When did I get to be a grown-up? I can remember everything that has happened (for the most part) in the last 33 years, but it seems like it only took about a year for it all to happen!

My little brother got married this weekend. It kind of woke me up. Sure he was 27 years old. Sure he was ready for this life changing moment. Sure my parents were overjoyed to see him say his vows. I am just not sure I was completely ready for him to make that step. You see, by him not growing up I could stay young as well. I understand that I have had 2 kids and have been married for 13 years. I understand that it has been 15 years since I graduated high school.

I suppose that everyone moves on. No one has the luxury of staying in the same place, mentally, physically, or emotionally. Staying in one place means no growth. I have always been a fan of change. But I dont know if I was ready to give Daniel over to his wife. To relinquish my protector status was hard. I shed tears at the wedding. I was not the only one, though I might have been the only one crying for that particular reason.

I am extremely happy for Daniel and Lyndie (as long as she doesnt hurt my baby brother of course) . I am excited about the future and accepting Kellie and Sean and future babies into our family. I guess that change had to come about in order for us to have these awesome people apart of our family.

Change is a necessary evil. Though it is not always an evil it is always necessary. My life might not ever be the same, thanks to daniel taking the plunge into married life. But it will be better. I might not be young but I am not old. I might not be in the same place I was a year ago, but I am better off for it. I might not be the same person I was, but I am constantly growing into the person God wants me to be.

Below is a song I have loved for a very long time and it has helped many times to accept the change that comes so often in my life. I hope you can find some solace in these words.....if you, too, are having a difficult time with impending change.

Sorry about the rambling. Change has never scared me til I saw my brother accept so much responsibility (and he has never ever been the one to do this....EVER) and realized......things are different now. Things are better.

Welcome to our family Lyndie, Kellie and Sean. Get ready.....you are now on the crazy train!

To Every Season
Pete Seeger

To Everything (Turn, Turn, Turn)

There is a season (Turn, Turn, Turn)
And a time for every purpose, under Heaven

A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep

To Everything (Turn, Turn, Turn)
There is a season (Turn, Turn, Turn)
And a time for every purpose, under Heaven

A time to build up,a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones, a time to gather stones together

To Everything (Turn, Turn, Turn)
There is a season (Turn, Turn, Turn)
And a time for every purpose, under Heaven


A time of love, a time of hate
A time of war, a time of peace
A time you may embrace, a time to refrain from embracing


To Everything (Turn, Turn, Turn)
There is a season (Turn, Turn, Turn)
And a time for every purpose, under Heaven

A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time to love, a time to hate
A time for peace, I swear it's not too late

No comments:

Post a Comment