Thursday, August 19, 2010

Summer's over, let the mourning commense

As I sit thinking about my daughter's first day of school tomorrow, I am brought back to my 12 first days of school. While I cant remember the first few, I do remember highschool very well. Deciding what to wear (not a problem now thanks to uniforms) was such a huge deal. I remember my older sister telling me not to dress nice the very first day and save the cool new outfits for the second of third day. I could not find the logic in that, nor can I now, but I did it. Of course she was a senior and I was a freshman so she had to make sure I was not better looking than she.

My neice begins her highschool career as well tomorrow. I remember when she was born. This makes me feel extremely sad. My youth is gone, and hers is just beginning. My days of walking the hallowed halls of Ruston High are over and she is just beginning that journey. I wish that I had relished those days. I was in such a hurry to get to the end of the journey that I missed most of the scenery. If there is one thing I can tell my kids and nieces and nephews, is enjoy the ride. Enjoy every moment you are in school. Enjoy the lack of responsibility. Enjoy every crush you get. Enjoy hanging out at lunch, laughing with your friends. 

I enjoyed highschool, but I was so focused on growing up that I didnt realize that it would happen faster than I thought. Faster than I had wished even. My 4 years at Ruston High School were a very fast, wild ride. I was a band geek but dog gone it I was the coolest band geek. I was a flirt and longed for acceptance. Just like every highschool girl. Nothing spectacular. Nothing life. But that was not because it DIDNT happen. It was because I didnt notice it. Notice everything. Make memories. This is what life is about and especially highschool. Enjoy every dance, every pep rally, every club day (do they still have those??).

Well since this has become a letter to all highschool kids I guess I will close this post out. Just never take for granted how much time you have left. I am going to blink and I will be attending my 5 year olds graduation. Ahhh this makes me cry. Life goes by fast.....enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment