Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Dear Donna Womack

last night, my sister-in-law, dawn and I had a discussion about music. In the last 9 months I have awakened a love for what many call "strange" music. Unorthodox in many circles but still I love it. It is alternative/ indie. Some rock but even that is mostly British rock. I digress. She asked me if I had heard of a song by Brad Paisley. Now to be honest, I do not listen to country music much, but I had heard some of Mr. Paisley's songs. I had not, however, heard of the song "Letter to Me". She let me listen to it and I began to cry. As I listened to this song, this powerfully relevant song, I thought about what I would write. I will not put the lyrics to the song, as they were his lyrics (or whomever wrote the song's lyrics) here. The purpose of this blog is to reveal what would be in my Letter to Me. So here goes, for better of worse. I will be revealing certain things, that you might not know about me. Some I am not entirely proud of, but at the same time are apart of who I am so entirely that if they had not happened, I wouldn't be who i am today. Now for my letter........

Dear Donna,

I begin writing this, by first proving that this is really you in the future. In your top drawer of your white chest of drawers (that I still use btw) you keep all your Seagram's and jack Daniel's bottle tops. These are kept under the sticky paper used to cover the bottom of the drawer. If that is not enough, you also have a vast collection of Fresca cans in paper grocery bags in your closet. (go ahead and throw those away now and save mama the trouble because she WILL as soon as you leave for Leigh's in the summer).

I want to tell you some things that might help you along the way. Not trying to stop events that will happen, but rather prepare you for them.

1. Your daddy is always right. Never doubt him. No matter what because he will always give you good advice even when you think he is being hard. Your mama will do whatever she can so that you can have what you need. She will also do most of your laundry so go and ask her how to do it. Also watch her cook, you wont find a better cook and she would love it if you went in and helped.

2. Get a house key so you dont have to keep crawling through your window after school. And be more careful when crawling OUT of that window at night. Mama and Daddy are waiting to catch you...and they will....and it won't be pretty.

3. Wake them up when that friend comes crawling through your window at 2 AM. Tell them you need to take her home. Believe me....this is how they catch you sneaking out and again. It ain't pretty.

4. Give Jake that hug goodbye. It will mean more to you than you will ever know.

5. Don't try so hard. If they dont like you, then so be it. You are going to meet and marry the most fabulous man who gives you two awesome kids.

6. Wake up and go to school. Senior year is going to suck when you can't participate in senior skip day because you missed too many days in first hour because you couldnt wake up....on and btw....you still like to sleep in.

7. Don't stop exercising...believe me.....DONT

8. Go to college and finish.

9. When riding around with mandy, make sure you wear a seatbelt.

10. Enjoy every escapade you have with Candida, Holly, Mandy, and Alice. Though collectively they are not friends with each other...they will be the best friends you will ever have. (later you meet some pretty awesome chicks and even becomes REALLY good friends with....get ready for this.......Elizabeth Trammell....she is pretty cool when you are not trying to mack on her boyfriend haha).

11. Don't over do it on Prom your junior year.....on second thought......it was fun and I can remember all of it so have a blast.

12. Don't worry about the things that your parents are going through.....just be there for them and let them know you love them. Dont be afraid to hug them.

13. Know that Leigh will always be there for you. Appreciate Edward....hug him and often. let him know how much he means to you.

14. Sit down and listen to pawpaw. he has many stories to tell and they are all interesting. He loves you and is proud of who you are. He is the reason we like to joke around so much.

15. Try to steer Daniel in the right direction. He looks up to you.

16. Lori will become one of your best friends...shocking I know...but very true.

17. Greg will always, always, always be there and both lori, greg and daniel will provide you with some of the most awesome neices and nephews anyone could ever have. They will also provide you with some kicking in-laws!

18. Don't consume yourself with just one friend......as you get older it will become very clear to you who is your true friends...and who wants to drag your name through the mud. While it hurts to find this out......it is a necessary evil so you can finally be who you want to be.

19. Don't sweat the small stuff.....dont worry when people dont like you, because not everyone does.

20. Its ok to cry, even at school. Wear what you want, laugh when you want and cry as much as you need to. Don't always try to be the strong one.

21. One day, you will wake up and realize that you are not young........but you are still kicking so make the most of the time you have left.


Love, You


Ok a bit random and you might not understand most of these, but they are perfectly clear to me. This was very theraputic and now i can see why he sang that song with such emotion. I would suggest you try this......though I cant change the past, i can understand it a bit better. I have had a pretty sweet life so far.....and plan on making the next 33 years even sweeter!

No comments:

Post a Comment